Good morning, babes!
Today’s post is all about bible studies! I often get asked what bible study I recommend and honestly it depends. When I get asked this question, I always try to see what the person is looking for and what season in life they are in. I feel like there are certain studies that just speak more to someone when they are going through something specific.
I love so many, but I’ve narrowed my list down to four of my favorites. I’ll also share what study I am starting next week in case you’d like to join me!
Finding I Am by Lysa Terkeurst
Y’all. This one is a special one to me. My daddy died five years ago and it absolutely wrecked me to the core. I am actually working on a post about grief that I hope to share next month. For a season after dad passed away, I completely turned away from God. I looked to ease my pain with alcohol and refused to open my Bible. I was so mad at God because in my mind, He didn’t answer my prayer of healing for my dad (my daddy died of prostate cancer).
This Bible study came at the perfect time for me. A new friend in town invited a couple of girls and I into her home to meet once a week and go through it and it changed my life. Going through Finding I am softened my heart and reminded me of who God is.
The study is broken down into seven I AM statements of Jesus found in the Gospel of John. Below I’ve included a couple of bullet points describing the study that are found on the back of the book.
- Trade feelings of emptiness and depletion for a more personal fulfillment of knowing who Jesus is.
- Stop living like a slave to your circumstances by training your heart to embrace the life-giving freedom God wants for you.
- Gain a better understanding of how Jesus’ words 2,000 years ago are so very applicable to the answers we are searching for today.
Oh my goodness this one is also so so good. I didn’t know who Rebekah Lyons was until my friend gave us her book. You can either read the book and/or do the six week study that goes along with the book.
Jesus gave His life to set us free. He gave us a purpose and called us to live in freedom in that purpose. Christ doesn’t say you can be free, He says you ARE free. Here are a couple of bullet points from the book.
- Overcome the exhaustion of trying to meet the expectations of others and rest in the joy God’s freedom brings.
- Release stress, anxiety, and worry to uncover the peace that comes from abiding in God’s presence.
- Find permission to grieve past experiences, confess areas of brokeness, and receive strength in your journey toward healing.
- Throw off self-condemnation, discard the masks you wear, and step boldly into what our good God has for you.
- Discover the courage to begin again and use your newfound freedom to set others free.
Oh my goodness, reviewing this one makes me want to pick up the book and read it again! It’s so good, y’all!
If you’ve followed for a while, then you know my love for Jennie Allen. She is one of my absolute favorite bible teachers. I’ve read so many of her books and have learned so much from her. If you don’t know who she is, you should definitely check her out!
This bible study is set up in one of my favorite formats. It’s a 40 day interactive journey. I don’t know why, but I love the studies that are broken up into 40 days.
This bible study is all about answering the question, Why am I here? Here are a couple of bullet points from the book.
- Abandon insecurities and discover how God can use your dreams and passions for a greater purpose.
- Learn how your struggles can produce the very thing you want to give back to the world.
- Trade control and safety for a life of God-honoring adventure by praying one prayer.
- Continue to reaffirm your purpose and calling in every season of life.
If you find yourself in a struggle trying to figure out what your purpose is, this is the study for you! She also has a podcast called Made for This and one of the seasons follows along with this book.
Take Back Your Life by Levi Lusko
A couple of years ago, I read a book called I Declare War and loved it. I had never heard of Levi Lusko and really enjoyed his book. Last year, as I was looking for a study, I came across this one and decided to buy it. It was exactly what I needed during that season of my life.
This is also a 40-day interactive journey. And here are a couple of the bullet points.
- Get out of your own way by learning to think right so you can live right.
- Find purpose by discovering that God will do great things with imperfect progress.
- Learn that your pain is not an obstacle to being used by God but an opportunity to be used like never before.
Levi and his wife, Jennie lost their daughter Lenya about 13 years ago. Their journey through grief and healing is a beautiful one. Jennie talks about it in her book, The Fight to Flourish which I also recommend!
And now for the study that I am starting next week…..
Forgiving What You Can’t Forget by Lysa Terkeurst
I am so excited. I need this study more than you know. A couple of years I went through something that rocked my world and I ended up in this terrible place of unforgiveness and bitterness. God has brought me out of this after years of fighting it, but I still struggle. So I am excited to go through this and see what God has in store for my heart.
I bought the book, the journal and the study. You do not have to buy all of them! Just buy the book if you have to pick one. I am doing the bible study through Proverbs 31 Ministries and if you want to join, you can do that by clicking here. It starts on January 19th.
And that’s it, friends! My top four favorite bible studies.
I do want to end with one thing. Bible studies are great, but they don’t replace The Word of God. It’s so important to continue to read your bible. And to also know that these teachers/pastors are human. Just as with everyone, it’s important to always be aware of what The Word says so that you can test what you hear and read. 1 John 4:1-6 says,
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday! Tomorrow is Let’s Look Wednesday AND it’s my Bug’s TENTH birthday!
P. S. This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog!
One thought on “Are You Looking For A Bible Study?”